year noun வருடம், ஆண்டு
1a period of 365 or 366 days from 1 January to 31 December. A year has twelve months and 52 weeks:
- Where are you going on holiday this year?
- ‘What year were you born?’ ‘1973.’
- I left school last year.
2any period of twelve months:
- I’ve known Chris for three years.
- My son is five years old.
- I have a five-year-old son.
- I’ve got a two-year-old.
Be careful! You can say She’s ten or She’s ten years old (BUT NOT ‘She’s ten years’).
3(British) the level that a student is at in school or university:
- I’m in year nine.
- They’re third-year students.
all year round for the whole year:
- The swimming pool is open all year round.
Look also at leap year and new year.